Social Media Campaign Review – Michael Barrett
- Social Media
The Grand Rapids Lip Dubs (new world record)
Citizens from Grand Rapids in Michigan were outraged when they read a story in Newsweek proclaiming that their city along with 9 others was “Dying”. Residents in response to this, were concerned about the possible implications that this bad press could cause in terms of tourism travel and reputation.
• To protect and promote the reputation of Grand Rapids and Michigan as a whole
• To communicate that Michigan is a hive of activity and far from dead
• To gain press coverage of the event
The outraged group of residents, business groups and tourism bosses created an epic response by setting a new world record LipDup video featuring 5,000 of its residents the following video, miming to Don McLean’s American Pie, which was produced using $40,000 worth of donations from 29 local sponsors. The logistics of the operation required massive amounts of organisation
Uploaded to YouTube on 26 May 2011
• 800,000 people viewed the video in just a few days
• 100,000+ Facebook ‘likes’
• It was the 9th most watched clip on YouTube anywhere in the world on 28 May
• 12,000 YouTube ‘likes’.